Saturday, July 18, 2009

"Why I love being part of a team"

By Elizabeth McCarty

Well, nothing like waiting until the last minute to post a blog....but that's kind of how I've felt all season....rushing to get prepared. I was down on myself a lot over the year because of this. I thought I had decided not to be a triathlete. I wondered what I was doing wrong. Shouldn't I wake up EVERY morning ready to take on an 8 mile run, or cold dip in Lake Meridian???



The answer is a resounding NO! I realized that being hard on myself was taking the pure joy out of the sport for me. Once I decided I would do what sounds fun (like running a marathon or deciding to do Issaquah the week before the race), I enjoyed myself a lot more.



But what really made it all fun is being on a team. From strictly an accountability aspect.....you absolutely cannot cancel on someone who has gotten herself up at 4:30 in the morning to go swimming or running. I was just reminded of that on Tuesday, thank you very much Cathy (and we had a good time!). But what we do....what we've done this season.....that in large is because of our unit -- our team!!



On the morning I was supposed to do my 20 mile run for the Rock-n-Roll marathon, I was coming off a week of severe sickness. I think I probably had a total of 700 calories for 5 days. I ate some GU and hoped for the best. I was so thankful for 3 things that morning: cooler temps, good soft trail.....AND CATHY!!!!!! Honestly, if I didn't have Cathy I would have quit. It would have been difficult in heat or on hard pavement, but I absolutely needed Cathy that morning......and we actually pulled it off!!! I don't think I truly grasped the importance of a training partner until you get the pleasure of enjoying someone's company for 5+ hours. THANKS!!



The stories I have heard....the blogs I've read....they all say the same thing over and over. And that message is LOUD AND CLEAR: We are a team. And our team rocks.



Congratulations everyone on each of your milestones. We still have a couple more months left in the season. Embrace your status of being a triathlete. You do things that most people dare dream possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment