Monday, June 1, 2009

Joanna's thoughts on the West Seattle 5K


Amy talked a group of us into running in the West Seattle 5k this morning. The group ended up being Amy, Teresa, Rachel, Kathy G and myself. The course was an up and back along Alki Beach so the view and water were amazing and it was FLAT... which I was LOVING after the Kirkland 5k hilly course. I took off at the start at a comfortable pace that I thought I would be able to maintain. About a 1/2 mile into it I realized that I forgot to use my inhaler (it's a new thing and I'm completely not use to it) but since I was feeling good I decided to keep going. I just tried to focus on taking slow deep breaths as much as possible. I also turned up a music a little more so I couldn't hear my breathing... which can sound scary sometimes. I looked down at my watch at the 1st mile marker and was in the 12 minute range. A 12 minute mile is the best that I have ever run. WHOOHOOO! Doing good, feel good, just keep moving. My excitement lasted only about another quarter of a mile before I started going downhill. My breathing was becoming a little out of control so I tried to walk a few steps in hopes of getting it to stabilize. Walking hurt more than my running did so I started to jog again. My breathing got worse so I faced the fact that I had to walk for a while. It still amazes me how mental running and racing is. I always assumed that the person in the best condition finishes first. I wasn't until last September that I realized your need to mental condition yourself right along side of your other physical conditioning. Within the first quarter of a mile of walking, I had completely talked myself out of running another step and was almost to the point of just not finishing. It is crazy how fast all though negative thoughts come flooding into your head. First was the list of things that I screwed up during the race... didn't use my inhaler, planned food and water around the wrong time time (I thought it was at 9a but it was really 9:30a), started at too fast of a pace to maintain, I'm too hot, I'm tired, I didn't get enough sleep, I've been up since 5a, I need water and there isn't any, why didn't I think to bring water with me and so on in this big repeating loop. Kathy, who is excellent at pacing, went flying by me. While cheering and encouraging her, my negativity for myself just got more intense. Then as I rounded the half way point, there was this AMAZING view... the water and beach were quiet and inviting with crystal clear snow topped mountains in the background. As I took a moment to realize how lucky I was to be outside to take in the view, a breeze came off of the water and cooled my burning up face. That was all it took to be able to fight off the negative thoughts. I wanted to finish strong. I wanted to look strong as I ran past Amy, Teresa and Rachel. I wanted them to keep running and was worried that if they saw me walking that it would make it easier for them to give up on their running. The last time I rode my bike with Amy, she mentioned that I was the rabbit that she kept trying to catch. I didn't want to make it too easy for her to catch me and if she did, I wanted to at least be running so it would mean more. Instead of paying attention to my head, breathing or watch, I started picking out people ahead of me that were walking and one at a time made it my mission to pass them. Slowly and steadily I was able to pass all of them. Then after you pass them, I tried to make sure I was moving quick enough that they couldn't pass me. This kicked my head into a more competitive place and I was able to run the entire second half of the race. At some point past the 2 mile mark, I realized I was under 30 minutes. That moment of realization that you might actually be able to beat your best time is also incredibly motivating. I've never come in under 40 minutes on a 5k before in my entire life. The first time under 45 minutes was just a few months ago in February at our team 5k run test. Earlier in May I finished the Kirkland 5k in 41:45. Realizing that I had a chance to beat my current PR definitely kept me going. I did have to fight the negativity again though when the "if onlys" started up. If only I hadn't walked. If only I had walked faster. If only I had walked less. Thankfully that was short lived cause if I was going to beat my own record with the walking, that means that once I get to the point of not needing to walk I am going to rock the 5k :). The Garmin placed me finishing at 40:34. I cut a little over a minute off my time and am proud that that. And more proud that I didn't give up and completely throw in the towel like I have before on other races and other trainings. I'll get there. Hitting a 5k under 40 minutes will just have to be left as a goal for another day. The gals I races with all did amazing. Teresa and Amy came in so soon after I did that I missed seeing them cross the finish line cause I went to go grab a much needed water. I was there to watch Rachel finish with a big smile on her face. I think Kathy and Amy also broke their 5k times from Kirkland by at least a 1-2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment